Man charged with murder in Fort Knox shooting

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A man has been charged with murder in the shooting death of a civilian employee at Fort Knox, according to court filings.

A Thursday federal filing by the FBI said Marquinta E. Jacobs fired a .45-caliber handgun at the victim, “striking him several times.” Jacobs is charged with murder, according to the criminal complaint.

The shooting around 5:40 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot at the Army Human Resources Command building prompted a brief lockdown at the Army post in central Kentucky, about an hour southwest of Louisville.

Army investigators said a soldier wanted for questioning in the killing was apprehended Thursday in Portland, Tenn., where Jacobs’ mother lives. The Army declined to name the soldier, a member of Fort Knox’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division.

A witness saw the Wednesday shooting after Jacobs and the victim had a verbal exchange in the parking lot of the human resources building, the federal criminal complaint said. The witness saw Jacobs shoot the victim, identified as “L.G.,” several times and then flee in a Dodge pickup truck. Investigators found eight shell casings at the scene.

Investigators interviewed Jacobs’ wife, who said he owned a .45-caliber Glock pistol, and they found ammunition at the home that matches the kind used at the crime scene. Jacobs’ wife told police that Jacobs had left the home on a black motorcycle.

The motorcycle was found at the home of Jacobs’ mother in Portland, Tenn. His mother told police he had left around 9 p.m. Wednesday driving a Kia Rondo, according to the FBI complaint.

Police in Portland referred questions to the Army Criminal Investigation Command on Thursday. A message left for a spokesman at Army CID was not immediately returned Thursday night. Fort Knox has said in a statement that the soldier was a man believed to be traveling on a motorcycle.

The victim was an employee of the U.S. Army Human Resources Command, which handles personnel actions for soldiers.

After the shooting, the victim was transported to the Ireland Army Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead Wednesday.

Chris Grey, a spokesman for the Army Criminal Investigation Command, said the shooting was a personal incident and not a random act of violence.

The identity of the victim was being withheld pending notification of family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s