Loose dogs tie up traffic on the H-1 Freeway

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1365738929&height=510&page_count=5&pf_id=9619&show_title=1&va_id=4015166&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=510 div_id=videoplayer-1365738929 type=script]

Bad traffic is common on the H-1 Freeway during the morning rush hour, but the cause of Thursday morning’s traffic mess is far from usual.

A cute, big eyed chihuahua brought traffic on the H-1 Freeway to a complete standstill.

The incident was reported just before 6:30 a.m. in the westbound direction on the H-1 Freeway near Liliha. That’s when Honolulu Police and the Hawaiian Humane Society received calls from drivers.

“We got the call this morning along with the police about a dog running loose on the freeway,” Hawaiian Humane Society Director of Operations and Vice President Keoni Vaughn said. “The police department was able to rescue this dog and bring him to us. He’s a little freaked out.”

Another dog was also running on the freeway, but was struck by a passing vehicle and died before police arrived to the scene.

When HPD arrived, their work was still cut out for them.

“I was actually able to talk to the officer that rescued the dog and the first thing he said is that ‘I got my morning cardio in,'” Vaughn said.

After several unsuccessful attempts at catching the dog, police were able to grab the dog after about a half hour near the Vineyard off ramp.

“They were able to distract the dog and another officer, who had a leash on him, was able to put that leash over the dog’s head and bring the dog to safety,” HPD spokesperson Teresa Bell said.

Unfortunately for motorists, by then traffic was backed up in both directions through town and remained very heavy for the rest of the morning rush hour.

The male chihuahua was taken to the Humane Society for identification, but…

“All dogs are required to have a City & County dog license that is worn on the collar. We do highly recommend it. And at bare minimum also a microchip. So, unfortunately this poor little guy didn’t have either,” Vaugh said.

The Humane Society says the owner and the dog have been reunited.

Both of the dogs belonged to the same owner, who does not know how they got on the freeway.

The dog is now getting microchipped just in case he gets out again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s