A Kaneohe woman says her home made her sick.
Mold is building up in her public housing unit and she knows what’s causing it.
But after months of waiting for a fix, she turned to KHON2′s Action Line for help.
Felicia Alimoot, 82, has lived in her one-bedroom apartment for several years and she says she’s never experienced something like this.
The former school bus driver spent months hoping for a response and then called Action Line.
The holes in the bathroom ceiling are just the beginning of the problem. Water leaking from the apartment above created mold, which she says made her sick.
“When I felt myself sick March the 28th, I said something is wrong here. I felt fever, I thought never I would feel fever. But I did,” Alimoot said.
Alimoot says the leak began in December 2012. There were tiny drops, but she didn’t think too much about it. But last month, the water became more of a problem.
“The water pile up in the wall and it’s trying to find its way out so it’s going in the back of my TV, on the bathroom counter,” Alimoot said.
She used nearly every towel she owns to try to soak up the water that eventually ended up on her bathroom floor and behind her refrigerator.
“I have to take everything that’s wet, soaking wet, take them outside and then shoot it down,” Alimoot said.
She asked to be moved to another unit, but none was available.
Action Line learned from public housing officials that crews have been trying to stop the leak from the upstairs apartment. They say that a permanent fix upstairs will be made in the near future and that damage to Alimoot’s apartment will be repaired after that. They promise it will happen soon.
A word to the wise, if you spot a problem like this, take action. It doesn’t take long for the mold to grab a foothold.
“The mold had started to pop out like candies just about a week-and-a-half ago. I noticed there was one at the time, but then one become four,” Alimoot said.
We’ll keep following up on the progress for the fixes in the leaking unit and Alimoot’s apartment.