Evacuations, road closures, and lots of anxiety are the result of recent bomb scares in the past two weeks.
KHON2 wanted to know if these incidents are fallout from the Boston bombings.
Honolulu Police say there is definitely a heightened alert among the general public, but they say the four cases in the last two weeks are not that unusual.
Last week Thursday, Honolulu Circuit Court was evacuated after a bomb threat was made and a suspicious package was found.
The following day, Kalakaua Avenue near Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center was shut down from another suspicious package.
“I would say because of the Boston incident, the public is more aware and being more vigilant, but as far as response for our bomb techs, I don’t see any change,” HPD Maj. Alexander Ahlo said.
On Wednesday, it was at Kahuku High School, where officers discovered an incendiary device. Later that day, Walmart in Kapolei was evacuated when an ammunition box was left in the parking lot. The box turned out to be empty.
“Given our present environment and what is going on around the world, any unattended or unclaimed property could potentially be viewed as suspicious,” Maj. Ahlo said.
HPD says it still wants the public to remain vigilant and call 911 for anything suspicious. It’s also important to keep track of your belongings and not leave them behind.
Once an alert is called in, police can only respond one way.
“The message that we want to put out there is that we will treat each incident seriously, whether it be real or hoax,” Maj. Ahlo said.
There are serious consequences. In the Circuit Court incident, the person who called in the bomb threat could face a felony charge of first-degree terroristic threatening.
The Kahuku incident is considered a reckless endangerment case.
“Making a threat or leaving a device — real or hoax — with the intent to disrupt normal activity, or to create fear or panic is something that we take very seriously,” Maj. Ahlo said.
At this point, there are no suspects for either of those cases.