Suspect in Oregon visitor murder case released, investigation continues

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1370660952&height=510&page_count=5&pf_id=9619&show_title=1&va_id=4089072&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=510 div_id=videoplayer-1370660952 type=script]

The Marine arrested for the murder of an Oregon visitor was released on Friday.

Honolulu Police released 38-year-old Nathaniel Cosby, but say their investigation continues.

KHON2 was at Honolulu Police headquarters when Cosby walked out at 9:15 a.m. He was dressed in a white prison jumpsuit and hid his face behind a bag of belongings the entire time.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service was also waiting for Cosby.

KHON2 tried to talk to the murder suspect, but Cosby remained tight-lipped.

Police had to release Cosby since charges were not made within the 48-hour time period following his arrest on Wednesday. He was arrested at Honolulu International Airport in connection with the murder of Portland, Ore. native Ivanice “Ivy” Harris.

Last month, Harris’ nude body was found near Yokohama Bay.

Cosby has not yet been charged with any crime, but the Prosecutor’s Office says they are still waiting to receive the results of tests to determine what happens next.

“I don’t know if they need anymore witnesses. I don’t think they do. Right now the investigation is in the detectives hands and they are going to work with what thy have right now,” Honolulu Police Department Sgt. Kim Buffett said.

The Marine Corps says Cosby is a Master Sergeant based at an air station in Japan, but has been temporarily reassigned to a unit at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. Currently, his status is the same as other Marines assigned to units there.

In a statement, a spokesperson said, “The Marine Corps and its commanders take all allegations of criminal misconduct involving Marines seriously and are fully cooperating with the investigation.”

NCIS is helping with this investigation, but could not talk to KHON2 because they do not comment on open investigations.

However, Cosby’s son responded to KHON2 through a Facebook message.

“I’m relieved to hear the news. I knew he was innocent. I just spoke with my stepmom. Huge weight off our shoulders. I do hope they find the person responsible,” Cosby’s son Richard Cosby said.

RELATED STORIES:

blog comments powered by Disqus