Truck goes over H-1 Freeway in Aiea, slams into tree

Courtesy: City & County of Honolulu Traffic Cameras

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1372997487&height=510&page_count=5&pf_id=9619&show_title=1&va_id=4128827&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=510 div_id=videoplayer-1372997487 type=script]

A Oahu driver had a wild ride on Thursday, when his truck launched off the H-1 Freeway, went down an embankment and then slammed into a tree.

The crash left a big mess that blocked traffic for several hours.

Amazingly the driver was able to walk out on his own.

He’s an employee of Sherwood’s Tree Services, a 30 year Hawaii Company with a clean record according to the Better Business Bureau.

When first responders got the call that a truck had gone off the freeway, they weren’t sure what they’d find.

“I was doing laundry at the laundro-mat and we heard a big crash and everyone was running outside,” witness Elena Baldio said.

Turns out a green Ford F-250 did launch through a metal guard rail on the H-1 Freeway eastbound. But instead of plunging to the ground below, it slid down an embankment slamming into a tree.

“It was a big you could hear, like a crash, like a big boom. I thought it was fireworks because it was 4th of July,” Baldio said.

The truck was also carrying a red trailer with heavy equipment which toppled onto the freeway.

It’s not known how fast the truck was traveling. But if not for the trees, it may have ended up inside Dave’s Ice Cream Shop.

“There was another guy that said it was a company truck like a tree trimming truck,” Baldio said.

The truck is owned by Sherwood’s Tree Services.

The company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, but is not BBB accredited. The company has zero complaints in recent years and its contractor license is current, valid and in good standing with the state. The business has been operating since 1981.

The truck’s driver was transported to the hospital with non-serious injuries.

“I thought right away someone was hurt, but I saw the driver I think he walked out so hopefully he’s ok, he looked ok,” Baldio said.

Two lanes of the H-1 Freeway were shut down for about three hours as crews worked to remove the truck and trailer.

KHON2 called the Department of Transportation about repairs to the damaged guard rail and how long it will take to fix, but due to the holiday they’ll have that answer for us on Friday.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s