Four people are without a home after their townhouse went up in flames Friday morning.
The fire started at about 6:45 a.m. on the second floor of a Pacific Village townhouse on Ualo Street in Aiea.
Three people were home at the time.
A 48-year-old woman was taken to the hospital in serious, but stable condition. She was treated for smoke inhalation and later released.
The Honolulu Fire Department says the family’s six pet cats were not so lucky.
“This is a significant fire. Residents displaced, their pets unfortunately did not survive… and they’re very, very grief-stricken and stunned and of course our hearts go out to them,” HFD Capt. Terry Seelig said.
According to Capt. Seelig, the home had smoke alarms, but they weren’t working.
Investigators say the fire was caused by a malfunctioning power strip in the living room.
Damage is estimated at $325,000.
The Red Cross is assisting the affected residents.