The Christopher Deedy murder trial moved into week three on Monday with testimony from Deedy’s friend.
Fraternity brother and friend Adam Gutowski testified he had a text message from Deedy that there would be “craziness” that night.
At one point during the evening, Gutowski discovered that Deedy was carrying a weapon.
“No, I pretty much left it at that. I mean, he was a federal agent. It wasn’t actually that surprising. I know he has a lot of responsibilities and he was very controlled at that point, so I didn’t think too much of it,” Gutowski said.
According to Gutowski, the evening started in Waikiki, moved to Chinatown for more drinking and then back to Waikiki at a bar called Coconut Willy’s.
“At that point, I have to admit, I was getting pretty intoxicated. It was the most intoxicated point of the night and so I remember Chris gave me a beer,” Gutowski said.
When the bar closed, Gutowski, Deedy, and friend Jessica West made their way to McDonald’s on Kuhio Avenue where a confrontation occurred. Kollin Elderts was shot and killed during that confrontation.
During the fight, Gutowski and Deedy received injuries. Gutowski described what happened immediately after the shooting.
“I walked out. You can clearly see that there’s blood on my hands. I walked out and so Chris is now walking over and maybe trying to administer aid to Kollin at this point. I’m not sure. I think I was already walking out to the hospital,” Gutowski said.
Monday’s session of the trial was abbreviated after prosecuting attorney Janice Futa became ill.
Gutowski is expected back on the stand on Tuesday.
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn’t feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim’s friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder