Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will remain open during Tropical Storm Flossie, but with minimal services.
Park officials have closed the following areas as of Sunday evening. Closures remain in effect until the storm has passed and conditions are safe:
- Chain of Craters Road, from Devastation Trail parking lot to the coast
- All backcountry areas, including Mauna Loa and cabins
- Mauna Loa Road (known locally as “Mauna Loa Strip Road”)
- All coastal areas, including, ‘Āpua Point, Keauhou, Halapē, and Ka‘aha
- Kulanaokuaiki campsite
- Nāpau campsite
- Nāmakanipaio Campgrounds and A-frame cabins
- Jaggar Museum (observation deck open but no rangers on duty)
- Additional closures may be warranted as Flossie nears
Kīlauea Visitor Center will open Monday from 8:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. with reduced staffing. Thurston Lava Tube will remain open. Volcano House and Kīlauea Military Camp are open.