Christopher Deedy’s murder trial has reached a the halfway point.
The prosecution rested and on Wednesday, Deedy’s attorneys began their part of the case.
First for the defense on the witness stand, Jessica West — girlfriend of Adam Gutowski who was with Deedy on the night of the shooting.
Much of the original questioning focused on how much the group had to drink the evening of Nov. 4, 2011. The group left a Waikiki bar just after two Saturday morning.
“He was in a good mood. We were all in a good mood. Nothing that stood out,” West said.
The group went to McDonald’s. They had something to eat and West left the restaurant. Her friends didn’t follow her and she walked back into the restaurant. Words were exchanged between Elderts and Deedy.
“I saw Chris pull out the — what looked to be a wallet — from his back pocket, flip it open, and present it face forward to Kollin,” West said.
“Did you know what it was at this time?” asked defense attorney Brook Hart.
“I did not,” West said.
The defense maintains that Deedy was showing Elderts his identification, naming him as a special agent. West said that appeared to make Elderts angry.
“The only way I can describe it is puffing himself up, making himself big, in a challenging manner,” West said.
Shortly after that, according to witnesses, the altercation escalated and Elderts was shot dead.
More defense testimony is expected Thursday.
- Police detective testifies in Deedy murder trial, last prosecution witness
- Friend of victim cross-examined, explains why he didn’t leave
- Deedy’s friend back on the stand, claims he was severely beaten before the shooting
- Deedy’s friend chronicles night of deadly shooting
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn’t feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim’s friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder