The Christopher Deedy murder trial resumed on Monday.
Queen’s Medical Center emergency room nurse Margaret Nakamura was questioned about Deedy’s appearance when he came to the hospital that morning.
Defense attorney Karl Blanke: “How would you describe the way he walked?”
Nurse Margaret Nakamura: “I think he walked with a steady gait. He was not off balance at all.”
Defense attorney Karl Blanke: “Did you have the opportunity to speak with him?”
Nurse Margaret Nakamura: “Yes.”
Defense attorney Karl Blanke: “How would you characterize the way he was speaking?”
Nurse Margaret Nakamura: “I think he had clear speech and I think he was cooperative, and answered all the questions appropriately.”
That was just more than an hour after Deedy was charged with shooting Kollin Elderts to death.
The security guard at a Waikiki McDonald’s could not testify as to who started the fight.
“That situation, sir, it looks like rumble. I don’t know who started it or… but it looks like rumble,” security guard Rosalinda Soriano said.
At that time of the morning, Soriano said the restaurant gets a number of customers coming from nearby bars.
“Mr. Elderts, it’s something unusual. He is more louder than the other customers,” Soriano said.
Defense attorney Brook Hart: “Did that cause you to conclude anything about Mr. Elderts?”
Security Guard Rosalinda Soriano: “That he was under the influence of alcohol.”
Retired Honolulu Police trainer Fabian Loo also testified on Monday. He was not allowed to testify on this particular case — only the use of force when an officer is threatened.
Retired Honolulu Police trainer Fabian Loo: “Meet that with the same force, sir.”
Defense attorney Karl Blanke: “Even if it’s not the officer himself that’s facing serious bodily injury or death?”
Retired Honolulu Police trainer Fabian Loo: “The standard we train our police department is ourselves or others.”
The trial resumes Tuesday.
- Friend told special agent ‘Let’s just go’ moments before the deadly shooting
- Defense calls first witness to the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Police detective testifies in Deedy murder trial, last prosecution witness
- Friend of victim cross-examined, explains why he didn’t leave
- Deedy’s friend back on the stand, claims he was severely beaten before the shooting
- Deedy’s friend chronicles night of deadly shooting
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn’t feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim’s friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder