Christopher Deedy — in his own words– describing the events of a deadly shooting in Waikiki.
It’s the first time we’ve heard from the special agent who’s accused of killing Kollin Elderts.
Deedy told a jury he had no other choice but to take action.
Christopher Deedy testified he intervened in a potentially violent situation — identifying himself as a police officer. He says that made Elderts more agitated. Deedy was asked by his attorney Brook Hart why he didn’t just walk away.
“For me at this point to simply run would be irresponsible cause I already displayed my identification and told him. Gave him my command. Told him to stop what he was doing. Told him that he would be arrested. How he’s continuing,” Defendant Christopher Deedy said. ”My memory from the event, prior to me reaching for my gun, he was basically saying the same thing – something like, ‘Go ahead, shoot me. Shoot me, shoot me, do it.’”
Much of the morning’s testimony was devoted to Deedy’s training as a special agent for the federal government. He testified he showed his credential to Elderts before their altercation.
“He knew I was a law enforcement officer. He was saying go ahead and shoot me. And now that I’ve reached for a gun, it was you do have a gun. When we experience something like that, it’s like a test of the officer,” Deedy shared.
Deedy said when Elderts first came toward him, Deedy used a defensive kick to ward him off. But Elderts did not back off. Deedy said he relied on his training at that point.
“We’re trained if something like that happens, you might consider the person an emotionally disturbed person. Where they may not be thinking rationally for some reason or another,” added Deedy.
It was moments after that the two men grappled and Elderts was shot and killed.
Cross examination is expected in the trial on Wednesday.
- Nurse: Special agent did not appear drunk the morning of deadly shooting
- Friend told special agent ‘Let’s just go’ moments before the deadly shooting
- Defense calls first witness to the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Police detective testifies in Deedy murder trial, last prosecution witness
- Friend of victim cross-examined, explains why he didn’t leave
- Deedy’s friend back on the stand, claims he was severely beaten before the shooting
- Deedy’s friend chronicles night of deadly shooting
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn’t feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim’s friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder