Special agent Christopher Deedy returned to the witness stand on Wednesday.
He spent the day describing the details of what led him to fatally shoot Kollin Elderts following an argument that escalated at a Waikiki McDonald’s in Nov. 2011.
During the scuffle, Deedy said Elderts attacked the special agent’s friend.
“Mr. Elderts grabbed Adam Gutowski and then I saw Elderts hit Adam,” Deedy said.
Deedy says Elderts’ friend Shane Medeiros then tackled Gutowski. And then Elderts pushed Deedy down to the ground.
“I stood up both arms in front of me, palms forward, and I said, ‘Stop, I’ll shoot,’” Deedy said.
Deedy said he gave Elderts plenty of warning before pulling out his gun, but Elderts kept moving toward him.
Christopher Deedy: “I hoped, I prayed he would stop.”
Defense Attorney Brook Hart: “Did he stop?”
Christopher Deedy: “No.”
And as they grappled with each other, that’s when Deedy fired. He says everything seemed to slow down and it was eerily quiet when it happened.
“As he drove me back what seemed like in slow motion, he drove me down on to the ground,” Deedy said.
Deedy says he blanked out shortly after that, but then regained his senses and realized he had to try to revive Elderts.
A cell phone video taken by someone inside the restaurant shows Deedy covered in blood. Deedy says Elderts was still breathing when Deedy was trying to administer CPR and police officers came shortly after that.
After being questioned by police, Deedy admitted that he was the one who shot Elderts. Police arrested him, put him in a squad car and Deedy says that’s when he fully realized what had just happened.
“It was like a ton of bricks hitting me in the chest. I was at that moment just trying to keep myself together after being in a fight for my life,” Deedy said.
Late Wednesday afternoon, prosecutors cross-examined Deedy, questioning whether the use of force was actually necessary.
The trial continues on Thursday.
- Special agent accused of murder takes the stand
- Nurse: Special agent did not appear drunk the morning of deadly shooting
- Friend told special agent ‘Let’s just go’ moments before the deadly shooting
- Defense calls first witness to the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Police detective testifies in Deedy murder trial, last prosecution witness
- Friend of victim cross-examined, explains why he didn’t leave
- Deedy’s friend back on the stand, claims he was severely beaten before the shooting
- Deedy’s friend chronicles night of deadly shooting
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn’t feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim’s friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder