Jurors in the Christopher Deedy murder trial will return Thursday morning to continue deliberations.
Some legal experts say don’t be surprised if jurors don’t come up with a decision until next week.
Don Pacarro was a prosecutor for 24 years. He says besides the fact that a federal agent shot an unarmed man, there are other reasons why this case is unique.
Pacarro says this trial is much more involved.
It took 20 days of testimony that spanned a total of five weeks, so jurors have a lot of information to digest.
Pacarro says a more typical murder trial would take a jury less than a week to come up with a verdict. But in this case, jurors have so much information, making it that much harder.
“They want to do the right thing. Sometimes they rethink what they originally thought in the beginning,” Pacarro said. “It’s really hard to predict this one. Whatever the decision is, if there is a decision, people will be debating for years.”
If deliberations go into late next week, Pacarro says then there’s a stronger possibility of a hung jury and a mistrial.
If that happens, the judge can ask the jurors if more time would help. If the jury says no, then the judge would declare a mistrial
When a verdict is reached or if there’s a hung jury, KHON2 will broadcast it live on-air and online.
- Closing arguments wrap up in Deedy murder trial
- Former prosecutor breaks down Deedy’s testimony
- Prosecutors: Deedy could have walked away from the confrontation
- Special agent Deedy explains why he drew his gun
- Special agent accused of murder takes the stand
- Nurse: Special agent did not appear drunk the morning of deadly shooting
- Friend told special agent ‘Let’s just go’ moments before the deadly shooting
- Defense calls first witness to the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Police detective testifies in Deedy murder trial, last prosecution witness
- Friend of victim cross-examined, explains why he didn’t leave
- Deedy’s friend back on the stand, claims he was severely beaten before the shooting
- Deedy’s friend chronicles night of deadly shooting
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn’t feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim’s friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder