[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3x2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1377576981&height=510&page_count=5&pf_id=9619&show_title=1&va_id=4254565&width=650&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=650 height=510 div_id=videoplayer-1377576981 type=script]
It’s been one of the most highly-publicized trials in recent memory. During the past two months, barely a day went by when there wasn’t something about the Christopher Deedy murder trial on television or in the newspaper.
Only minutes after the judge’s decision to declare a mistrial, KHON2 caught up with deputy prosecutor Jan Futa.
“I don’t think it’s so much finding a jury that hasn’t seen or heard about but finding a jury that — notwithstanding what they’ve seen or heard — can be fair and impartial,” deputy prosecutor Futa said.
There had been some question about the decision to take a compromise manslaughter charge off the table. The up or down decision on guilty of murder or not guilty was seen by some as a gamble.
“Well, it actually wasn’t a gamble. it was not an issue because as the judge found there was no evidence to support that charge so there being no evidence it would have been inappropriate to give it,” Futa said.
The will likely be retried here in Honolulu and once again, before Judge Ahn.
- Deedy juror speaks exclusively to KHON2 News
- Former prosecutor says Deedy retrial would not benefit either side
- Elderts family “exhausted” after trial
- Mistrial declared in Deedy murder trial
- Lawyer: Jurors in Deedy murder trial stuck without manslaughter option
- Former prosecutor shares insight as deliberations continue in Deedy murder trial
- Closing arguments wrap up in Deedy murder trial
- Former prosecutor breaks down Deedy’s testimony
- Prosecutors: Deedy could have walked away from the confrontation
- Special agent Deedy explains why he drew his gun
- Special agent accused of murder takes the stand
- Nurse: Special agent did not appear drunk the morning of deadly shooting
- Friend told special agent ‘Let’s just go’ moments before the deadly shooting
- Defense calls first witness to the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Police detective testifies in Deedy murder trial, last prosecution witness
- Friend of victim cross-examined, explains why he didn’t leave
- Deedy’s friend back on the stand, claims he was severely beaten before the shooting
- Deedy’s friend chronicles night of deadly shooting
- Bullet expert takes the stand in Deedy murder trial
- Evidence specialist: Deedy smelled of alcohol hours after deadly shooting
- Former Marine describes threat made before deadly shooting
- Arresting officer, eyewitness testify in Deedy murder trial
- Man in middle of deadly fight didn’t feel threatened
- Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial
- Deedy trial day 2: Victim’s friend gives emotional testimony
- Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder