Mistrial declared in Deedy murder trial

Christopher Deedy

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1377574687&height=510&page_count=5&pf_id=9619&show_title=1&va_id=4254214&width=650&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=650 height=510 div_id=videoplayer-1377574687 type=script]


After six days of deliberations, the jury said it was deadlocked and the judge declared a mistrial in the Christopher Deedy murder trial.

Both the prosecution and the defense were disappointed with the mistrial because now a new trial may have to be scheduled.

“We have unanimously voted that the jury does not have a verdict and further deliberations will not resolve our impasse,” Judge Karen Ahn said.

After declaring that they couldn’t reach a verdict, the jurors were asked by the judge if more time will help. All of them said no. Attorney for both sides expressed disappointment with the mistrial. The big question was whether giving jurors the option of manslaughter would have helped.

“I don’t know usually in these matters when there are other options, sometimes people reach an agreement,” Deedy’s attorney Brook Hart said.

“Would you push for a manslaughter verdict in the retrial?” KHON2 asked.

“Not unless there’s new evidence that comes out that would support the charge, but there’s nothing that we have seen,” deputy prosecutor Janice Futa said.

Futa said there was no evidence to support the manslaughter verdict, which is why she didn’t ask for it in the first place. Both sides expressed how difficult the trial has been for their clients and themselves.

“Probably the most difficult they ever had as a family and they’re just trying to wrap their arms around the notion that Christopher Deedy is still a free man as he should be,” said Hart.

“What was the most challenging was just being able to get all the witnesses here when they needed to be here. There are just so many witnesses,” Futa said.

Federal agent Deedy is accused of second-degree murder for the shooting death of Kollin Elderts in a McDonald’s in Waikiki two years ago.

Prosecutors say Deedy was drunk and started the fight. Deedy says he shot Elderts in self-defense.

A new trial will likely be scheduled in May or June next year. Until then, Deedy plans to go back to work in Virginia.

“He’s still a special agent of the United States State Department and has a job to do,” Hart said.

Related stories:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s