Maui Fire Department and Hazardous Materials crews responded to a possible hazardous material incident in Kula.
The incident happened at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday on the corner of Kula Highway and Kamehameiki Road.
According to the Maui Fire Department, the firefighters observed the 30-gallon plastic barrel emitting vapors upon arrival.
A 300-foot exclusion zone was set up around the area.
Due to the possible danger from the unknown chemical, Maui police advised nearby residents to evacuate.
Officials say Hazardous Materials crews investigated and determined from the labeling that the product in the barrel was 35 percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide. They also took samples from the barrel and confirmed it to be hydrogen peroxide.
The container was secured and scheduled to be picked up by a hazardous material disposal company.
The Kula Highway was closed between Kula Ace Hardware and the post office while crews investigated the incident. All lanes of Kamehameiki Road between Kekaulike Avenue and the Kula Highway were also closed to traffic.
Police have reopened all lanes to traffic by 9 p.m.
It is unknown how many people were evacuated.