Fire officials: Hawaii Kai house fire caused by malfunctioning gas torch

Hawaii Kai house fire

Honolulu Fire Department investigators say a malfunctioning gas torch used to light candles accidentally caused a house fire in Hawaii Kai.

The fire broke out in a single-story home on Hanamaulu Street at about 10:30 p.m. Thursday.

Officials say the fire began in a rear bedroom.

Five people were home at the time and escaped without injuries.

Firefighters had the blaze under control just before 11 p.m.

The fire destroyed the home and a Toyota sedan.

Damage is estimated at $500,000 to the structure, $60,000 to the contents, and $20,000 for the vehicle.

blog comments powered by Disqus