Electrical malfunction of dryer may have caused Big Island house fire

Big Island Fire

A house fire in Hilo may have started because of an electrical malfunction of a dryer, according to the Hawaii County Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to a single-family home on Kawailani Street just after 6 a.m. Friday.

Officials say one person was home at the time and managed to escape unharmed.

The fire was extinguished about an hour later.

Investigators believe the fire started in the carport area.

Damage is estimated at $80,000 to the home. Two vehicles were also damaged in the fire — an estimated loss of $20,000.

The American Red Cross is assisting the affected resident.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s