State contracted crews continue to scoop out dead marine life after the massive molasses spill into Honolulu Harbor and Keehi Lagoon, but it’s not fast enough.
“It comes and goes, but it dramatically smells more when the sun goes down it all gets stuff in the mangroves,” La Mariana Restaurant employee Cherry Lao said.
At La Mariana, an area devastated by the sticky mess, the molasses spill is not only killing fish, the restaurant is also taking a hit.
“Normally we are busy Thursday, Friday nights and it’s been really, really slow. We don’t make as much as we usually do,” Lao said.
Even though a week has passed since the spill, some days are better than others.
“Our boss has been trying to maintain the scent by spraying Febreze and stuff like that whatever works right,” Lao said. “We’re hoping our customers will still be true to us and keep coming back.”
While they try to stay afloat, Keehi Lagoon remains closed to commercial and recreational water activities.
The owner of X-Treme Parasail and Jet Ski is also feeling the economic impact. He’s had to cancel all jet ski tours and that has totaled losses of $2,000 a day, and he’s also had to let go three employees.
The small family-run operation is one of two jet ski companies suffering from this spill.
Those who live aboard their boats at Keehi are also uneasy. They are worried how the molasses may mess with their engines and equipment.
“Engines work on things that have very specific needs, and anytime you tamper with that you will have problems whether you notice it the first day it will be there, these are all fine tuned instruments,” boater Jill Melton said.
Matson says a number of businesses have already called their claims hotline set up for those affected by this spill. The number to call is (808) 848-8300.
- Matson could permanently halt molasses shipments following spill
- Aerial views of the lingering molasses plume
- Coast Guard calls in Pacific Strike Team to assist in molasses spill
- Molasses spill could take months to dissipate
- Matson takes KHON2 to the spill impact zone
- Matson lays out timeline of massive molasses spill in Honolulu Harbor
- DLNR closes Keehi Lagoon because of molasses spill
- Keehi Lagoon waters closed to water recreational activities following molasses spill
- State partially to blame for molasses spill
- Future remains murky for Honolulu waters after massive molasses spill
- EPA personnel to arrive in Oahu to aid Honolulu Harbor response
- Effects of massive molasses spill continue to grow
- Matson faces tough questions on massive molasses spill in Honolulu Harbor
- Matson could face millions in federal fines after molasses spill
- Fish dying in large numbers after molasses spill
- Thousands of fish killed after massive molasses spill in Honolulu Harbor