A Waikiki man is the first to be charged under a new state law.
Manuel Maldonado, 28, has been charged with two felony counts of soliciting a minor for prostitution which is under Act 247.
He’s also accused of five misdemeanor counts of soliciting a minor to produce sexual images.
According to authorities, Maldonado began texting a 16-year-old Kapolei girl earlier this month.
They say that during that time the girl told Maldonado her age but he encouraged her to send him nude photos of herself and she did.
Maldonado is in custody with bail set at $25,000.
Act 247: §712- Solicitation of a minor for prostitution. (1) A person eighteen years of age or older commits the offense of solicitation of a minor for prostitution if the person offers or agrees to pay a fee to a minor to engage in sexual conduct.
(2) Solicitation of a minor for prostitution is a class C felony.
(3) A person convicted of committing the offense of solicitation of a minor for prostitution shall be imposed a fine of not less than $2,000; provided that $2,000 of the imposed fine shall be credited to the general fund.
(4) For purposes of this section:
“Minor” means a person who is less than eighteen years of age.
“Sexual conduct” has the same meaning as in section 712‑1200(2).
Hawaii Revised Statutes [§712-1215.5] Promoting minor-produced sexual images in the first degree. (1) A person, eighteen years of age or older, commits the offense of promoting minor-produced sexual images in the first degree if the person intentionally or knowingly commands, requests, or encourages a minor to use a computer, cell phone, or any other device capable of electronic data transmission or distribution, to transmit to any person a nude photograph or video of a minor.
(2) For purposes of this section, a “minor” means any person under eighteen years of age.
(3) Promoting minor-produced sexual images in the first degree is a misdemeanor. [L 2012, c 213, pt of §1]