Unattended stove causes Makiki apartment fire

Honolulu firefighters at the scene
Honolulu firefighters at the scene

Someone forgot to turn off the stove. That’s what investigators say led to an apartment fire in Makiki Tuesday morning.

The fire on Makiki Street started at about 8:45 a.m.

It engulfed the kitchen and spread smoke throughout the one-bedroom apartment.

“It’s really simple just coming back to unattended cooking. A reminder for people to turn their stoves off before they leave,” Honolulu Fire Department Capt. John Bowers said.

Smoke got into other apartment units, but did not cause any damage.

No one was injured.

Damage is estimated at about $50,000.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s