Koko Head Shooting Complex reopens

Koko Head Shooting Complex
Koko Head Shooting Complex

The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) says remediation work performed at the Koko Head Shooting Complex rifle range has been finished and the facility reopened on Saturday.

Total closure of the shooting complex was required in order to safely perform the construction work on the rifle range.

The rifle range was closed on Dec.7, 2013 after reports of stray bullets in the surrounding community.  The entire shooting complex was closed on Jan. 13 to safely complete the remediation work at the rifle range.

Mayor Kirk Caldwell expedited construction in order to reopen the complex as soon as safely possible.  The remediation measures included rebuilding of the “backstop” behind the targets and the construction of an “eyebrow” to address ricochets and inadvertent shots.

To rebuild the backstop, the city used sand which had previously been dredged from under a bridge over the Kaelepulu Stream in Kailua Beach Park.  The remediation work cost the city a total of $94,140.00 and took 10 working days to complete.

On April 3, 2013, Mayor Caldwell extended hours at the shooting complex to Wednesday through Friday from noon to 4 p.m., and weekends and holidays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.  The range is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, unless that day is a holiday.

“We’d like to thank the shooting community for their understanding, patience and support while the facility was closed for construction,” said Toni Robinson, DPR Director. “The remediation provides them with a safer, cleaner facility to enjoy for years to come.”

blog comments powered by Disqus