SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (CNN) – There’s a new warning for pet owners in San Francisco about tainted meatballs.
And this time it’s directed toward a new neighborhood.
Mark Miller and Cleo are out for an evening walk on La Playa in the Richmond District, where four raw meatballs were found lined up on the sidewalk Sunday night. It’s not the news Mark wanted to hear.
“I know some folks do not like animals but you don’t injure or kill them. Worse, as I said, young children may find them and indulge, it would be even worse,” Miller said.
Animal care and control don’t know yet if these meatballs are poisoned.
They also found this large piece of raw meat nearby.
“He’ll stick his head in the bush and come out with a chicken bone. He’d have a meatball down in a heartbeat,” dog owner Sally Fairchild said.
The discovery comes just days after 32 meatballs suspected to be tainted – were found near Twin Peaks on Crestline and Parkridge. Signs warning the public can be seen everywhere. It’s the same spot where hundreds of poison meatballs were found last summer, one dog died as a result then. Others were sickened. Linda Morales just adopted her two dogs yesterday.
“I think it’s somebody who hates animals and it’s somebody local,” Morales said.
Until the suspect is caught animal officials give this warning to pet owners near Twin Peaks and the Richmond.
“If their dog does pick something up and starts to consume it, I wouldn’t waste time, I would take the dog directly to a veterinarian,” Lt. Denise Bongiovanni from San Francisco Animal Care and Control said.
All of the suspected meatballs have been sent to UC Davis for testing.