8 displaced after Waipahu house fire

The Red Cross is assisting a large family after a fire damaged their home in Waipahu. The fire broke out at about 9 p.m. Sunday at a house on Lumi Pl. Fire officials say the house is heavily damaged.

The initial report says the call came in as an electrical short, and that flames were visible. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and it was put out within minutes.

“I heard these two boom sounds and I got out of bed and asked my wife and daughter what happened,” said neighbor Al Aneuber. “The whole neighborhood got up and everyone was on the corner and no traffic could come in because the street was all blocked off.”

Authorities say eight people lived there and no one was injured. Aneuber says the family has lived there for about 10 years. Red Cross volunteers met with them to ensure that their immediate emergency needs were met and provided assistance with clothing and groceries.  Caseworkers will continue to follow up in the coming weeks.

Aneuber’s home is just feet away. “It had happened on my side of the property, it would have lit up the tangerine tree,” he said. “It’s right on the border. My extension is about five feet away.”

Officials have classified the fire as an accident caused by an electrical outlet malfunction. Damage is estimated at $150,000.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s