Honolulu Hale tests negative for asbestos, lead

Honolulu Hale

The all-clear has been given for those who work in the city council chamber at Honolulu Hale.

Test results came back negative for both asbestos and lead Monday, so staff were allowed to return to their offices on the third floor.

Concerns arose last week that a door leading to the offices may not have been properly sealed during construction, leading to possible asbestos exposure.

“My staff and other staff members were exposed to whatever was in the air at that time,” said Honolulu City Council member Ann Kobayashi. “Fortunately, there was no asbestos, but had they been warned, they would not have been in the area.”

The cost of the tests is included in the $28,000 price tag for the cleanup of hazardous material in the chamber.

The contractor hopes to finish the renovation of the room in time for the council to resume meetings in June.

Related Story:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s