Ask HPD: Requesting a house check

Honolulu Police Department Capt. Andrew Lum answers this week’s question.

Question: How do I request an officer to check on my home?

Answer: HPD conduct what’s called a house check.  Residents who want a house check can call 911 as a non-emergency to make a request.

House checks are always conducted by on-duty uniformed officers under certain conditions.

The resident must be away from home for a minimum of five consecutive days.

A home can be checked for a maximum of 30 days.

The home must be unoccupied during the entire house check period.

Open or indefinite return dates are not accepted.

Only single family homes are checked.  No stores, construction sites, apartments, condominiums, or townhouses.  Houses that are for sale or rent or being fumigated will not be checked.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s