Discarded cigarettes spark Aiea apartment fire

Kamehameha Hwy., Aiea
Kamehameha Hwy., Aiea

Honolulu firefighters rushed to Aiea after a fire broke out at an apartment building Wednesday.

The call came in at 10:23 a.m. for a four-story walk-up at 98-401 Kamehameha Hwy.

Neighbor Heidi Surbona was at home when her son spotted the flames. “We saw flames, black smoke, so I got all my kids out, I got 911 and I got everyone out of the building,” she said.

Fire officials say one person was home at the time. No injuries were reported.

The fire was contained to the lanai only and firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze using foam.

Officials say the fire sparked when discarded cigarettes lit up a plastic bucket.

Damage is estimated at $4,500.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s