Texas boy forgoes PS4 to give a gift of safety

GRAND PRAIRIE, Tex. (KTVT/CNN) – A fire that claimed the lives of a mother and her son has inspired a little boy to go on a mission to help save lives.

The eight-year-old from Texas had been saving his money to buy a PlayStation 4 — but the deadly fire changed his mind.

“A mother and her six year old child are dead after an early morning house fire,” the television blared.

There it was on the news, a fatal fire in Fort Worth.

For an eight-year-old boy watching, he couldn’t comprehend hose this could happen.

How could a mother and her six year old daughter not get out on time?

How could this home not have a working smoke detector?

“I’ll show you how. We’ll have you install it in this house, OK?” Hector Montoya said.

Simply asking the questions wasn’t enough for Hector Montoya.

He wanted to change the answers, at least for next time.

“I was saving the 300 dollars for a PS4. But I said saving a life is more important,” Hector said.

So Hector took his money that he’d been saving up for a new PlayStation and instead bought smoke detectors.

With the help of the Grand Prairie Fire Department, Hector installed nearly a hundred.

He put them in homes of the elderly and of people who reminded him of that story he heard on the news.

“Hector is passionate about things, and when he get it in his minds to do something, the he’s going to do it,” his mother Monty Montoya said.

Hector’s friends not only joined him, but so did adults volunteering to help.

Many who probably watched the same story and had the same questions.

But it was the eight-year-old who had the answer.

“It really hurts my heart to see people die in a fire. It really does,” Hector said.

blog comments powered by Disqus