Are you interested in being a City & County of Honolulu beach lifeguard? Do you have what it takes?
The Honolulu Emergency Services Department Ocean Safety and Lifeguard Services Division is holding physical performance examinations to be in their 2014 Ocean Safety Summer Recruit Class.
These open positions are part-time, on-call contract hire beach lifeguards.
Applicants must have the following:
- A current Driver’s License
- A High School Diploma or GED
- Proof of previous completion of an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Class
- Proof of previous completion of a Basic First Aid Class.
- Proof of previous completion American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer Class or American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider Class.
Note that you need to meet all the above requirements to take the performance exam, and all documents must be provided on the day of examinations.
The performance examination consists of the following events:
- 1000 Yards Run and 1000 Yard Swim in under 25:00 Minutes
- 400 Yards Rescue Board Paddle in under 4:00 Minutes
- Run-Swim-Run 100 Yards each length in under 3:00 Minutes
Registration and tryouts will be at Ala Moana Beach Park behind lifeguard tower 1B starting at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, May 9, 2014 and Saturday, May 10, 2014.
- Ocean Safety notice: http://www.honolulu.gov/esdosls/osforyou.html
- American Red Cross classes: http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class
- American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider Class
There are other programs around Honolulu to accomplish the requirements before taking the physical tests. The list above is just a few options.