STOCKTON, CA (KXTV/CNN) – You wouldn’t think the burn area of a year-old wildfire would be much of a tourist draw.
But in California, fungus fans are flocking to a former forest.
Burned and decaying trees at Yosemite National Park create the perfect growth conditions for these rare and pricey mushrooms.
They’re called morels.
Mushroom hunters have been flocking to the park this spring to find the mushrooms, but they’re a disappointed bunch.
The US Forest Service says it’s still too dangerous to open the nearly 200-thousand acres that was burned last summer.
A number of hunters who have gone past clearly-marked closed areas have been cited.
The fine is $350.