A Board of Water Supply worker experienced a close call Friday after a pipe suddenly burst in Kalihi.
A company spokesperson said it happened at around 9:30 a.m. just as crews were wrapping up repairs on a 16-inch water main at N. School St. and Kamehameha IV Rd.
The worker was in a trench roughly eight feet deep when crews turned on the water and the pipe broke, flooding the hole with fast-rising water, she said.
Crew members managed to pull him out and said he had swallowed water, but was conscious and coherent. The worker was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
He has been with the company for more than 30 years, the spokesperson said.
Despite the mishap, water is expected to be restored Friday evening.