Honolulu police are on the lookout for an OCCC inmate.
Allan Abihai, a convicted sex offender, has been on the run for four days. The 51-year-old was released on work furlough Tuesday morning but didn’t return that night.
This isn’t the first time Abihai walked away from the jail.
Abihai was sentenced to prison back in 1985 for attempted murder, robbery, sex assault, and kidnapping.
In November 2006, Crimestoppers put out an alert after Abihai failed to return to the Laumaka Work Furlough Center. He was finally caught two months later.
Then in October 2009, he was released on parole after serving his minimum term. But he failed to register as a sex offender, and he was brought back to prison as a fugitive parolee.
In this latest case, the Department of Public Safety says Abihai left OCCC at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday to go to work. He was supposed to come back by 8 p.m. that night but never showed up. He’s now wanted for escape.
“Well it is unfortunate that this individual did not return. However when I look at who it was and the crimes which he was convicted for and the fact that he had done this previously, I question why he was even on parole. It appears to me he should not have been on parole this second time or on furlough,” said Sen. Will Espero, (D) Public Safety Chair.
According to DPS spokeswoman Toni Schwartz: “At his parole hearing in April of this year, the parole board recommended that he participate in the work furlough program before being paroled.”
“The majority of our inmates who are on furlough, they do return. He’s just one of a very very small percentage but you wonder what makes these individuals do these things when they know they’re on the verge of being released and being freed. Now once this individual is found, he’s going to be having more time in prison because of this situation,” Espero said.
Anyone with information about Allan Abihai can call 911.