Two-alarm fire destroys small home in Pearl City

Photo: Jesse Ortiz

Firefighters called a second alarm for a structure fire in Pearl City Friday.

The call came in just before 12:20 p.m. near Sunset Memorial Park on 4th St. Initial reports indicated the structure was fully involved at one point.

The Honolulu Fire Dept. says a one-bedroom, 300-sq.-ft. home went up in flames.

Two people, a man and woman, lived there and were caretakers of the small graveyard, officials said.

Both got out safely, although the man was treated for smoke inhalation. Their pet remains missing.

Investigators determined the fire was accidentally sparked when a cigarette was lit around spilled gas that was used for yard equipment.

The fire caused $60,000 in damage.

Smoke could be seen from a distance. Several viewers shared their photos:

Photo: Alana Song

Photo: Louie Jane

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s