A fire broke out in an office space in Century Center at the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Kalakaua Ave. Saturday afternoon.
A smoke detector set off the fire alarm.
The fire was reported to the Honolulu Fire Dept. at around 2:30 p.m. and was under control about a half-hour later.
Smoke was visible from the one-room fire on the eighth floor. No one was in the suite at the time of the fire, but people were evacuated from the building as a precaution.
A window was broken open in the process of extinguishing the fire.
Investigators determined a stove top had been left on overnight and ignited the cabinetry above it.
Damage is estimated at $40,000.