Ohio coroner says prom king dies of caffeine overdose

Logan Stiner
Logan Stiner

LAGRANGE, OH (WJW/CNN) – An Ohio teen is dead after doctors said he ingested caffeine powder that is legal in some states.

At Keystone High School in Lagrange, students were left with heavy hearts after the death of Logan Stiner in May.

The 18-year old was days away from graduation when he was found dead at home.

It took more than a month to figure out but the county coroner now says he died from an overdose of caffeine.

“I mean this is news to the coroner’s office. We had never seen this before,” Lorain County Coroner Dr. Stephen Evans said.

Dr. Evans said the autopsy didn’t reveal anything.

But after a bag of caffeine powder was found, they retested Logan’s blood and found a deadly amount in his system. According to the doctor, he mixed the powder with a drink and his body couldn’t handle it.

“What it does leads into cardiac arrhythmias, which is speeding heart and it leads into seizures. And those two things are what took his life,” Dr. Evans said.

“He was just a terrific kid. He was a role model for the Special Olympic athletes. You know they loved having him there.” Keystone Local School District Superintendent Jay Arbaugh said.

The powder isn’t illegal in Ohio and it’s available all over the Internet, which is a problem for Dr. Evans who said people don’t understand the danger.

“And we found out that this was being sold in bulk form in a powder form and it was being used by young people, especially students, especially athletes. And it was just to give them edge because most of them like all of us thought, well, it’s innocuous. You know, it can’t hurt you,” Dr. Evans said.

They don’t know how much Logan took, but according to the doctor, one teaspoon mixed with water would be like drinking 30 cups of coffee at once.

“That’s a very dangerous situation and I think it needs to be regulated better,” Dr. Evans said.

State senator Gayle Manning from Huron and Lorain Counties is willing to consider that.

She told WJW: “My heart aches for Logan’s family…I have been in contact with local officials to determine the scope of this issue and to determine if any action would be beneficial to address it. I encourage anyone with additional insight or ideas to contact my office.”

“It’s the number one stimulant drug in the United States and it can be abused just like any other drug can be,” Dr. Evans said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s