The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) is informing drivers about lane closures starting Sunday, July 27, related to design and construction work for the Honolulu rail transit project.
Motorists are advised that work along the 20-mile rail route from East Kapolei to Ala Moana Center will require lane closures during non-peak traffic hours.
Drivers should anticipate possible traffic delays or use alternate routes during work hours, and provide a safe distance between their vehicles and workers and equipment.
7 p.m.-5 a.m. Monday through Friday, Aug. 1: Farrington Hwy. between Kualakai Pkwy. (North-South Road) and Old Fort Weaver Road for utility relocation work. Drivers traveling between East Kapolei and the Ewa/Waipahu region during the overnight closures will still be able to use either the H-1 Fwy. on the north end of Kualakai Pkwy., or Kapolei Pkwy. on the south end. That nightly detour will run until the end of August.
Left turns from Farrington Hwy. onto Fort Weaver Road heading northbound will be restricted 24/7 through the end of August for column construction. Eastbound drivers using Farrington Hwy. will be asked to make a detour up Leoku St. to access Fort Weaver Road through either Leolua or Waipahu Sts.. The inside lanes of Farrington Hwy. and a portion of the Leoku St. intersection will also be closed during those same times.
H-1 FREEWAY/WAIAWA INTERCHANGE
8:30 p.m.-4 a.m. Sunday through Thursday: Two southbound lanes of the H-2 Fwy. near the Waiawa Interchange (H-1/H-2 merge) for utility work.
7 p.m.-6 a.m. Monday through Friday, Aug. 1: Westbound lanes of Farrington Hwy. between Aniani Pl. and Waipahu Depot Road for utility work.
Also inside lanes of Farrington Hwy. between Waipahu Depot Road and Mokuola St. for construction preparation work.
And outside lanes of Farrington Hwy. near Waipahu High School for construction preparation work:
- One eastbound lane of Farrington Hwy. in the area will be closed on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The westbound left-turn lane pockets at the Paiwa St. and Waipio Point Access Road intersections will also be shortened 24/7 during the ongoing construction.
7 p.m.-6 a.m. Tuesday through Friday, Aug. 1: One eastbound lane of Farrington Hwy. between Leokane and Pupukahi Sts. for utility work. The outside lanes of Farrington Hwy. in both directions in the same area will also be closed on Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Wednesday: Outside lanes of Farrington Hwy. between Pupupuhi St. and Aniani Pl.
8 p.m.-7 a.m. Monday through Friday, Aug. 1: Two westbound lanes and two eastbound lanes along Kamehameha Hwy. between Waiawa Road (near Leeward Community College) and Waimano Home Road for utility relocation/excavation work:
- The intersection of Acacia Road will be closed after 9 p.m. on weeknights.
- The outside eastbound lane of Kamehameha Hwy. between Acacia Road and Waimano Home Road will be closed weekdays 24/7 for roadway widening work. An additional eastbound lane will be closed weekdays between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Also two westbound lanes and one eastbound lane of Kamehameha Hwy. between Puu Poni St. and Kuleana Road:
- The inner eastbound lane of Kamehameha Hwy. in the same area, including the left-turn lane at Kuleana Road, will be closed 24/7 for several weeks for utility work. One westbound lane will also be closed on weekdays between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
8 p.m.-7 a.m. Monday through Friday, Aug. 1: Two westbound and eastbound lanes of Kamehameha Hwy. between Kuleana Road and Hekaha St. for utility relocation work.
Also eastbound lanes of Kamehameha Hwy. between Pali Momi and Honomanu Sts. for utility relocation work. Eastbound traffic during night work may be directed to a temporary lane on the westbound side of the highway.
- The left eastbound lane of Kamehameha Hwy. between Lipoa Place and Pali Momi St. will also be closed 24 hours a day for test shaft work.
The right eastbound lane of Kamehameha Hwy. between the Moanalua Fwy. on-ramp and Salt Lake Blvd. will be closed 24/7 for roadway widening and installation of utility lines for traffic signals.
- One westbound lane of Kamehameha Hwy. in the same vicinity will also be closed 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.-5:30 a.m. Monday through Friday, Aug. 1.
10 p.m.-5 a.m. Sunday through Thursday: Left eastbound lane of Aolele St. between the Airport Post Office and Aopoko Pl. for soil testing.
8:30 p.m.-4 a.m. Sunday through Thursday: Intermittent closures of various lanes of Dillingham Blvd. in both the eastbound and westbound directions between Middle and Alakawa Sts. for soil testing.
10 p.m.-6 a.m. Sunday through Thursday: Right westbound lane of Kona St. between Keeaumoku and Kona Iki Sts. for soil testing.
8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Aug. 1: Halekauwila St. between Middle and Keawe Sts. for soil testing.
10 p.m.-6:30 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday: Queen St. between Cummins and Kamakee Sts. for soil testing.
For updates on work days and times, visit the project website at www.honolulutransit.org or call their hotline at 566-2299.