The Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) has just announced all Oahu and Kauai County public schools will be closed on Friday due to Hurricane Iselle.
University of Hawaii
The University of Hawaii at Hilo and Hawaii Community College, along with its West Hawaii Education Center on Hawaii Island will be closed all day on Thursday, August 7, and Friday, August 8, due to anticipated severe weather caused by Hurricanes Iselle and Julio.
UH Maui College and its Education Centers in Hana and Lahaina and on Molokai and Lanai will close at noon on Thursday, August 7, and all day Friday, August 8. Weekend operations will also be suspended.
All campuses on Oahu and Kauai will be closed Friday.
Hawaii Pacific University
Hawaii Pacific University will close its campuses on Friday, August 8, and Saturday, August 9. Closures include the university’s Downtown and Hawaii Loa campuses, the Oceanic Institute of HPU at Makapuu Point and all military base locations. Only employees deemed as essential — with responsibilities related to campus emergency operations — will be asked to report to work.
Kamehameha Schools has announced that all its educational programs and offices on Hawaii Island will be closed on both Thursday and Friday this week in anticipation of Hurricane Iselle. This includes the campus at Keaau, KS Preschools island-wide, Resource Centers in West and East Hawaii and other business sites.
Kamehameha Schools educational programs and offices on Maui and Molokai will also be closed on Thursday, including the campus at Pukalani, KS Preschools on both islands, and the Resource Centers in Wailuku and at the Kulana Oiwi Complex.
At this time, education programs and offices on Oahu and Kauai are expected to be operating as usual on Thursday, except that all after-school and evening campus activities are being rescheduled.
On Friday, August 8, KS Kapalama campus and all Oahu preschools will be closed.
Hawaii Department of Education
The Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) is scheduling closures at designated public schools in advance of storms Iselle and Julio.
On Thursday, August 7, through Friday, August 8, all public schools in Hawaii and Maui Counties (Maui, Molokai, Lanai) will be closed. All other public schools will remain open and continue their regular school schedule and afterschool activities.
On Friday, August 8, all Oahu and Kauai County public schools will be closed.
All afterschool activities for students and staff are canceled at these schools, as well as any scheduled public meetings.
Many DOE schools serve as emergency shelters; however, County Civil Defense agencies have determined which schools are activated shelters. Please note the following.
Hawaii County designated shelters:
- Laupahoehoe Public Charter School
- Kohala High & Elementary
- Kealakehe High
- Konawaena High
- Hilo High
- Waiakea High
- Keaau High
- Pahoa High & Intermediate
- Honokaa High & Intermediate
- Kau High
- Waikoloa Elementary
Maui County designated shelters:
- Baldwin High
- Lokelani Intermediate
- Kekaulike High
- Hana High & Elementary
- Molokai High
- Kilohana Elementary
- Lanai High & Elementary
Oahu designated shelters:
- Campbell High
- Kaimuki High
- Kaiser High
- McKinley High
- Castle High
- Mililani High
- Pearl City High
- Waialua High & Intermediate
- Nanakuli High & Middle
Kauai designated shelters: To be determined by Kauai Civil Defense
Please check with State or County Civil Defense for more information on emergency shelters.
In Hawaii County, three complex areas serve more than 23,000 students: Hilo-Laupahoehoe-Waiakea (7,864), Honokaa-Kealakehe-Kohala-Konawaena (10,167), Kau-Keaau-Pahoa (5,414). There are more than 21,000 students in Maui County on three islands. Statewide, the DOE serves about 185,000 students at 255 public schools.
DOE officials continue to meet with State Civil Defense and are closely monitoring the storms’ patterns. Information regarding public schools and afterschool activities will be announced as needed.
Other private schools and universities closed Friday, August 8:
- A Caring Place Preschool
- Argosy University – Hawaii campus: Classes that start at 6 p.m. or later Thursday through all day Friday
- Cathedral Catholic Academy
- Chaminade Univeristy: All campuses closed from 4:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday
- Cole Academy, all locations
- Damien Memorial School
- Hanalani Schools
- Hawaii Baptist Academy
- Hawaii Kai Church Early Learning Center
- Holy Nativity School
- Iolani School (practice,meetings, tournaments)
- Lutheran High School of Hawaii
- Makakilo Baptist Church Preschool
- Maryknoll School (Friday, Aug. 8 and Monday, Aug 11)
- Mid-Pacific Institute: open house for middle school
- Montessori Community School’s summer program
- Our Lady of Good Counsel School, Pearl City
- Pali View Baptist Preschool
- Parents And Children Together (PACT), all Early Head and Head Start classrooms on Oahu and Hawaii
- Pearl Harbor Christian Academy
- Punahou School
- Queen Emma Preschool
- Rainbow Schools, all campuses in Kahuku, Sunset Beach, Wahiawa, Mililani, Honolulu and Kaneohe
- Remington College
- Saint Francis School, Manoa
- St. John Vianney School
- Saint Louis School, all activities including sports are canceled
- Saint Mark Lutheran School
- St. Patrick School
- Saint Theresa School, Kekaha, Kauai
- St. Andrews Schools: Summer adventure camp cancelled
- Star of the Sea School, Kahala
- Unity School, Diamond Head
- Waolani Judd Nazarene School
Corporate office and Heeia State Park will be closed starting tomorrow until further notice
- Windward A+ sites: There will be no A+/BC starting today until further notice
- Honolulu A+ sites: A+ closing at 5 p.m. Thursday. Children will need to be picked up by 5 p.m.
- Waikele A+ site closing at 5pm today
- All other Oahu A+/BC/Preschool sites will remain open Thursday until further notice. Sites will be closed starting Friday.
- A+/BC sites: Open Thursday until further notice. Site will be closed starting Friday.
- A+/BC/Preschool sites remain closed until further notice
- A+/BC sites remain closed until further notice