Hawaii Electric Light Company has been informed of scams targeting Hawaii Island customers in the wake of Tropical Storm Iselle.
Customers reported receiving telephone calls from someone claiming to be a Hawaii Electric Light claims representative. The customers were asked to provide their social security number.
Hawaii Electric Light wants to remind customers that the utility will not contact customers to request personal information or direct customers to submit payments via options other than those listed on the back of the billing statement.
For your safety and protection:
· Never provide personal, confidential or financial information to an unidentified individual.
· Ask questions or ask for proper identification. Request the individual’s name, company name, and phone number.
· Be cautious when responding to callers from an unidentified phone number. Phone scammers want to remain anonymous.
· Be aware that today’s technology can be used to mask the caller’s phone number and the caller ID could indicate the call is originating from Hawaii Electric Light, even though it is not.
· Report any suspicious activity to local police.
To obtain a claim form, please visit one of our customer service locations in Hilo, Waimea or Kona or visit our website at www.hawaiielectriclight.com