The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 4.2-magnitude earthquake just southwest of Lanai.
The earthquake occurred at 2:37 a.m Friday.
KHON2 received several calls into the newsroom from people who felt the temblor in Kaimuki, Hawaii Kai, Kaneohe and Waikiki.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no tsunami threat to Hawaii.
The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reported that only five previous earthquakes north of Molokai have exceeded the magnitude of Friday’s quake. They all occurred in the late 1800s and all in the 6-point range.
M4.2 – OAHU REGION, HAWAII
- 22 Aug 2014 12:37:17 UTC
- 22 Aug 2014 01:37:18 near epicenter
- 22 Aug 2014 01:37:17 standard time in your timezone
Location 20.794N 157.590W
Depth 6 km
- 61 km (37 mi) S of Waimanalo Beach, Hawaii
- 63 km (39 mi) SSE of Honolulu, Hawaii
- 69 km (42 mi) SSE of Kailua, Hawaii
- 72 km (44 mi) SSE of Kane’ohe, Hawaii
- 72 km (44 mi) SE of ‘Ewa Beach, Hawaii
- Horizontal: 1.3 km
- Vertical 0.9 km
Parameters Nph = 10; Dmin = 56.3 km; Rmss = 0.07 seconds; Gp = 179°