Tsunami Information Statement Number 1
NWS Pacific Tsunami Warning Center Ewa Beach HI
126 pm HST Sun Aug 24 2014
To – Civil Defense in the State of Hawaii
Subject – Tsunami information statement
This statement is for information only. No action required.
An earthquake has occurred with these preliminary parameters
- Origin time – 0122 pm HST 24 Aug 2014
- Coordinates – 15.0 South 74.0 West
- Location – Near the coast of Central Peru
- Magnitude – 6.8 Moment
Based on all available data a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami is not expected and there is no tsunami threat to Hawaii. Repeat. A destructive Pacific-wide tsunami is not expected and there is no tsunami threat to Hawaii.
However, earthquakes of this size sometimes generate local tsunamis that can be destructive along coasts located within a hundred kilometers of the earthquake epicenter. Authorities in the region of the epicenter should be aware of this possibility and take appropriate action.
This will be the only statement issued for this event unless additional data are received.
M7.0 – 42km ENE of Tambo, Peru
- 2014-08-24 23:21:41 UTC
- 2014-08-24 18:21:41 UTC-05:00 at epicenter
- 2014-08-24 13:21:41 UTC-10:00 system time
- 14.622°S 73.566°W depth=58.9km (36.6mi)
- 42km (26mi) ENE of Tambo, Peru
- 61km (38mi) E of Puquio, Peru
- 108km (67mi) S of Andahuaylas, Peru
- 131km (81mi) SW of Abancay, Peru
- 471km (293mi) SE of Lima, Peru