Oregon City, OR (KPTV/CNN) – An Oregon family says their pit bull is a hero.
It all started when some kids stepped on a bee hive, and the family dog came to the rescue of an eight-year-old boy.
Freshly home from the hospital, 8-year-old Jesse-Cole Shaver is hugging his dog a little tighter.
He was with his sisters and other neighborhood kids, exploring a creek down this steep embankment behind their Oregon City apartment complex, when one of the kids stepped into a rotten log, unleashing swarms of bees.
“It felt like a bunch of needles went into my skin, and I didn’t know what was going on until the girl started yelling, ‘Bees!'” Jasmine Jones remember.
Jesse-Cole’s big sister, Jasmine, was stung five times in what could have been a deadly encounter because she’s allergic to bees.
“And I got hit with an EpiPen two times,” Jasmine said.
Meanwhile, little Jesse-Cole was stung at least 24 times his family can count.
He couldn’t make it back up this hill to safety on his own. But luckily, their pit bull, Hades, came to the rescue.
“Hades saw me and came and she dragged me up to the grass and then stopped and let me crawl on her back and then took me to mom,” Jesse-Cole said.
“I just heard a bunch of screaming, then I saw my dog dragging my son up by his pants,” their mother said.
Their mother, who does not want to be identified, says even in the hospital, doctors were pulling bees out of their hair.
And if it weren’t for a little help from Hades, “a couple of these kids could have got really sick or died, I’m sure of it.”
A four-legged family member determined to do her doggone best, and proving she sure did.
Hades was also stung several times. But the good news is the dog and the kids are home and doing just fine.
They say, however, they won’t be going down that trail behind their apartment complex ever again.