It’s the last weekend before Christmas, and malls are overflowing with shoppers stocking up on last-minute gifts.
The key gifts: toys and jewelry — according to shopping experts, those are the two most popular items shoppers snatch up at the last moment for Christmas.
For some, picking out the perfect gift is worth the crowds — but that doesn’t mean, however, they actually liked waiting in line.
For Ewa Beach resident Chris Miranda, a fun gift for his two-and-a-half year old son meant a last minute trip to Toys “R” Us.
“I really didn’t know what to expect, to be honest,” he said. “Super crazy, had to get it done one way or another, no matter how it came about.”
Some dads didn’t mind the last minute rush — although, if they had to do it all over again …
“Next year, I’m probably going to do this online, and keep it throughout the year, all done on the Internet. Everything mailed to my house, probably the best way next year.
But online shopping didn’t help out the Nelson family, who had to rush to the store to pick up a present for their nephew.
“We ordered it online and it did not come in ’cause it was back-ordered, so we decided to come here and take a chance. And…no.”
Inside Pearlridge Center, there were happy kids and shoppers on a mission.
“We see a lot of husbands and wives together, and single men coming in for their girlfriends,” said Charles Mosher of the Diamond Fairy. “Husbands coming in to find last-minute stuff for their wives.”
Local jewelry stores like the Diamond Fairy noticed that diamond upgrades, diamond studs and engagement rings are really popular this holiday season.
No matter what gift you get, one dad says make sure the present is wrapped nicely. “I pass that on to my other half. She takes care of that.”
Special shopping mall and store hours are extended through Wednesday Christmas Eve:
- Pearlridge Center: 9 a.m.-10 p.m., and Christmas Eve, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Ala Moana Center: 9:30 a.m.-10 p.m., and Christmas Eve, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Windward Mall: 9 a.m.-10 p.m., and Christmas Eve, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Kahala Mall: 9 a.m.-9 p.m., and Christmas Eve, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Waikele Premium Outlets: 9 a.m.-9 p.m., and Christmas Eve, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Target: 8 a.m.-midnight, 7 a.m.-midnight Tuesday, and Christmas Eve, 7 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Costco: 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m., and Christmas Eve, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Toys R Us: 6 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday, 6 a.m.-midnight Tuesday, and Christmas Eve, midnight-9 p.m.