After enduring the traffic mess triggered by the breakdown of the ZipMobile this week, this is probably the last thing motorists want to hear.
Road work on Kapiolani Boulevard is taking longer than originally anticipated, which means lane closures will continue along the busy thoroughfare.
The Honolulu Board of Water Supply (BWS) is replacing 2,800 feet of water main built in 1938. Work is also being done on a separate, 1,000-foot main.
The BWS originally thought it would be completed by the end of last year. Then the area’s neighborhood board was told it would end by March of this year.
Now, BWS says it hopes to end the project by sometime this summer, six months after the initial estimated date of completion.
“The project has experienced delays due to salt water intrusion (this water needs to be pumped out each day before work can commence) and the unanticipated presence of other utilities in our waterline path,” the BWS said in a statement.
KHON2 approached the same people we spoke with before the project started on March 31, 2014.
“Actually, we weren’t notified of any delay,” said Jay Shannon, property manager for The Lock Up Self Storage company on the corner of McCully Street and Kapiolani Boulevard. “We weren’t notified when it began. You notified us, and you’re notifying us about the delay, so now we know.”
Shannon said, “They dig up locations and then they fill them back in, and then they dig them up again and fill them back in. So I’m not sure what they’re doing.”
KHON2 also spoke, again, to Ron Lockwood, chairman of the McCully-Moiliili Neighborhood Board, to ask what it’s been like for motorists on
“You know, I can’t tell you, because I avoid it ever since the project began,” he said. “I go on Beretania Street or Young Street.”
Lockwood also had a message for the Board of Water Supply and its contractor: “Come on guys, let’s finish the project! Let’s get one done on time.”