(CNN) — A strong earthquake struck off the coast of Taiwan early Monday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
The 6.6-magnitude earthquake was located some 47 miles (76 kilometers) east-northeast of Hualian, the USGS said.
The quake had a reported depth of 18 miles (28.9 kilometers). Initially, the USGS had estimated the depth at 0.6 miles (1 kilometer).
Taiwan’s Central News Agency reported that the tremors were felt across the island, including in the capital, Taipei.
There were no immediate reports of serious damage or injuries.
CNN’s Chieu Luu contributed to this report.
TSUNAMI INFORMATION STATEMENT NUMBER 1
NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI
352 PM HST SUN APR 19 2015
TO – EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT IN THE STATE OF HAWAII
SUBJECT – TSUNAMI INFORMATION STATEMENT
THIS STATEMENT IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ACTION REQUIRED.
AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS:
- ORIGIN TIME – 0343 PM HST 19 APR 2015
- COORDINATES – 23.9 NORTH 122.5 EAST
- LOCATION – SOUTHWESTERN RYUKYU ISLANDS JAPAN
- MAGNITUDE – 6.8 MOMENT
BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA A DESTRUCTIVE PACIFIC-WIDE TSUNAMI IS NOT EXPECTED AND THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII. REPEAT. A DESTRUCTIVE PACIFIC-WIDE TSUNAMI IS NOT EXPECTED AND THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII.
THIS WILL BE THE ONLY STATEMENT ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED.
M6.6 – TAIWAN REGION
- 20 Apr 2015 01:42:58 UTC
- 20 Apr 2015 09:42:58 near epicenter
- 19 Apr 2015 14:42:58 standard time in your timezone
Location 24.129N 122.335E
Depth 28 km
- 71 km (44 mi) SE of Su’ao, Taiwan
- 76 km (47 mi) ENE of Hualian, Taiwan
- 91 km (56 mi) SE of Yilan, Taiwan
- 125 km (78 mi) SSE of Keelung, Taiwan
- 861 km (534 mi) ENE of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 5.4 km; Vertical 4.4 km
Parameters Nph = 141; Dmin = 75.6 km; Rmss = 1.50 seconds; Gp = 14°