Cooking accident sparks Ward Avenue building fire

Ward Avenue


Ward Avenue was reopened between Spencer Street and Prospect Street after a building fire Tuesday.

The fire was first reported at 10:40 a.m. from The Kamaaina at 1520 Ward Avenue.

Firefighters contained the blaze to a sixth floor unit, and extinguished it by 10:55 a.m.

An elderly woman was home at the time. She wasn’t hurt, but the American Red Cross is assisting.

The cause of the fire was accidental and due to a cooking mishap. Damage is estimated to be at $20,000.

That portion of Ward Avenue was open to local traffic and buses only as crews responded to the fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s