Two-alarm fire in Hawaii Kai sparked by blowtorch

Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire in East Oahu Wednesday.

The call came in at 11:31 a.m. from Portlock Road, and a second alarm was called at 11:40 a.m.

Firefighters arrived to find a one-story single-family home with moderate smoke emanating from the roof vents.

It was reported that a contractor working on the rain gutter with a blowtorch accidentally started a fire at the roof, which extended to the attic.

Fire officials say the blaze was mainly confined to the attic and no other residences were threatened.

The fire was fully extinguished by 12:20 p.m. No one was hurt.

Two residents were not home at the time and declined assistance by the American Red Cross.

Damage was estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $20,000 to its contents.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s