It’s time to head into the kitchen for this month’s “Healthy and Delicious with Down to Earth”.
This saute dish with vegan Smoked Apple Sage sausage, Swiss Chard, and Shiitake mushrooms can be done in about 20 minutes. Pair it with a Maple-Cumin Wild rice that will take about 35 minute that can be easily made in your rice cooker while you work on the sauté.
- 3 tbsp safflower oil (or enough to coat pan)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 pkg of Field Roast Italian Sausage, sliced
- ¼ inch rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5-6 Shiitake Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch Rainbow Swiss Chard, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- Miso Sauce*:
- 3 tbsp. miso paste
- ½ tsp agave
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- ¼ cup water
*Whisk together all ingredients ahead of time, set aside
- Heat skillet to medium and coat with safflower oil.
- Add chopped onions and stir until brown.
- Add cut up Smoked Apple Sausage- stir and brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add Shiitake Mushrooms, and Swiss chard, continue to stir.
- Add Miso Sauce. (Add additional water if needed.)
- Cover and simmer for 15minutes.
For more information on Down to Earth, go to https://www.downtoearth.org/