Motorcycle classes, safety and awareness

As gas prices rise and parking becomes more and more of a nightmare, so has the use of motorcycles in Hawai’i.

Before going on vacation, Taizo went to Leeward Community College for a course on motorcycle safety.

After his segment, we talk to Bill Labby, the Motorcycle Safety Program Coordinator, about motorcycle rider classes and what drivers can do to be more aware of motorcyclists on the road.


According to Labby, to get the motorcycle designation on your driver’s license, you first need to go down to the DMV and take the written test to obtain a permit. Then, at that point, you can either schedule the road test through the DMV’s Commercial Vehicle section or you can take the State DOT approved Basic Rider course that is being offered by The University of Hawaii Community Colleges of Leeward on Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Hilo campus.   If you pass the class, you will receive a waiver from needing to take the road skills test. When you go back to the DMV, you will have to show them this waiver and your permit as well as take another written test for the motorcycle designation. For fees and other things you may need, you should contact the DMV.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s