Just four days away from their season opener against Punahou, OIA Division I football contender Leilehua is off to a smoky start.
The threat of brush fires in the area canceled school and practice Tuesday, making it two straight days of no practice for the Mules.
Head coach Nolan Tokuda says cancelling Saturday’s game is a possibility, since the team wouldn’t be able to prepare properly for the game, but football is not at the forefront for the central Oahu town.
“In times like these we want our young men to be home with their families and take care of their families situations,” Tokuda said. “For the homes here in Wahiawa you can imagine the stress that it’s causing just knowing that it’s certainty of what’s going to happen to the home.”
Leilehua administration will look into the status of Saturday’s game Wednesday and a decision could come as early as Thursday.
WEEK ONE SCHEDULE:
Friday, August 7
- Damien @ Aiea – 6:00pm
- Campbell @ Kahuku – 7:30pm
- Kaimuki @ Waimea – 7:30pm
- Kaiser @ Kapolei – 7:30pm
- Kamehameha @ Waianae – 7:30pm
- Saint Francis vs. Anuenue – 7:30pm @ Castle H.S.
- Castle @ Kailua – 7:30pm
- McKinley @ Roosevelt – 7:30pm
Saturday, August 8
- Waiakea @ Moanalua – 3:00pm
- Kalani vs. Pac-Five @ Aloha Stadium – 4:00pm
- Punahou @ Leilehua – 6:00pm
- KS-Hawaii @ Kalaheo – 6:00pm
- KS-Maui vs. Iolani @ Aloha Stadium – 7:00pm
- Maui @ Kealakehe – 7:00pm
- Kapaa vs. Nanakuli @ Kapolei – 7:00pm
- Keaau @ Lahainaluna – 7:00pm
- Waialua @ Honokaa – 7:30pm
Season 3’s debut for Cover 2 Hawaii High School Football Weekly is set for Wednesday, Sept. 2, at 9:30 p.m. on KHON2. The rest of the season will air Thursdays at 9:30 p.m.